It's a great time to get together and celebrate, eat lots of good food, and play games/watch football.
I volunteered to bring one of my family's favorite holiday sides, broccoli casserole. It's not the healthiest dish, but it sure tastes good!
- 1.5 sticks of butter (divided)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 c rice (uncooked)
- 2 pkgs frozen, chopped broccoli
- 1 8oz jar of Cheez Whiz
- 1 can condensed cream of celery soup
- 3 c cornflakes
- Melt 1 stick of butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until softened.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the package directions.
- And cook the broccoli according to the package directions, then mash with a fork.
- Add the broccoli, rice, soup, and Cheez Whiz to the onion mixture. Mix well, until combined.
- Transfer mixture to a large casserole dish.
- Melt 1/2 stick of butter and pour it over the corn flakes in a large zip-top bag. Crush the cornflakes and mix well with the butter. Spread evenly over the top of the casserole.
- Bake at 325F until golden (about 30 minutes.)
It is so tasty! And a big hit at the party.
There was so much good food at the party. And Anna did an amazing job decorating the tables - so festive!
I had salad, a roll with butter, green bean casserole, broccoli casserole, mashed potatoes, cornbread with honey butter, and cranberry sauce.
Plus some un-pictured puppy chow for dessert. Mmmmmm.
After eating, we watched the sad, sad Husker game, mingled, and took turns wearing the turkey hat.
And then we played a few rounds of The Game of Things. Have you played this game? SO FUN! Everyone secretly provides an answer and you have to guess who said what. (ex: Things you wouldn't want to find in your Christmas stocking...) Turns out I have some very creative friends!
What a great night spent with great friends. Thanks Anna & Sean!