Kate harvested a bunch of our basil yesterday and surprised me with homemade pesto. I used it this morning to make myself a tasty little sandwich!
Open-Faced Italian Egg Sandwich
This yummy sandwich is great for brunch - or any time of day!
total time: 10 minutes
cook time: 6 minutes
- cooking spray (or 1 teaspoon of oil or butter)
- 2 eggs
- 1 English muffin, split
- 1 tablespoon pesto
- 1 Roma tomato, seeded and sliced into rounds
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Coat a small skillet with cooking spray (or oil/butter) and place over medium heat.
- Once the pan is preheated to medium (2-3 minutes), crack both eggs into the pan, aiming to keep them separate and the yolks intact.
- While the eggs are cooking, toast the English muffin and spread pesto on each half.
- After 4 minutes, the eggs will be ready for flipping. Gently flip, moving quickly and attempting to keep the yolks from breaking. Let them cook on the second side for 2 minutes, then remove from heat. (The eggs will continue to carry-over cook even off of the heat.)
- Divide the tomato slices between the 2 halves of the English muffin, and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Place the eggs on top of the tomatoes, and enjoy!