This quilt has been a long time coming. After I posted this baby quilt, my good friend Mine asked if I ever make "adult" quilts. Ever since then, I've been itching to make one for her. First, it was going to be a house-warming gift. Then a wedding gift (we went to her wedding in Turkey during our honeymoon!) Then maybe a Christmas gift? Then, finally, a birthday gift. Winter months are perfect for huddling indoors around a sewing machine, so just after the holidays, I buckled down and got to work.
I started with a bunch of grey fabrics and then layered in a black & white polka dot that I had lying around. I considered doing the whole thing in just black, white, & grey, but then decided one bright color might be fun. This lime green flower print seemed just the right balance between modern and traditional, and I liked how it looked with the rest of what I'd collected. (The photos make it look yellow, but I'd say it's more green in real life.)
The quilt pattern is something I found online and then tweaked a bit. I mapped out a block in Excel and readjusted the piece sizes until it was something I liked. I ended up with 5 different patterns which I stitched together in rows of 4 (each row contained just one pattern.)
For the back, I used a grey flat sheet. Oftentimes you can find these much cheaper than fabric itself. While piecing it together, I decided to add strips of the black and white polka dot fabric to the top and bottom. It's my favorite little surprise of the quilt.
I also decided to actually machine quilt this one, as opposed to tying it. It's nerve-racking to stitch over the top of all of that work, but I think it turned out ok. Sure, the lines are a little wonky and the batting is bunched up in some places, but now you know it's homemade. I never claimed to be perfect! In fact, I like my quilts to not be too precious - in that I want them to be used.
Although this one isn't really big enough to be used on a bed, I think it'd be perfect for watching TV, curling up with a book, or, knowing Mine, working on the computer late at night.
Happy Birthday, Mine!!
- I hope everyone had a fantastic Father's Day! We celebrated with a Greek feast at my parents' house, complete with gyros, (continue reading)»
- I finally got around to watching the season finale of New Girl. I have to say, my feelings about this show have gotten quite (continue reading)»
- What are you up to this weekend? Here's what I'm planning... Build a Succulent Terrarium - I've been wanting to do this for (continue reading)»
- Today is our 1 year wedding anniversary! To celebrate, I thought I'd do something a little different...let you in on some of (continue reading)»
- So our new front door has been installed and is working well, but it still needs to be painted. We were going to have it custom (continue reading)»