I FINALLY finished a quilt for Laura! This quilt was a long time coming. I had plans to give it to her for her birthday in (ahem) March, but I hit a few bumps along the way. (Well, one major bump in the form of a broken wrist.)
I was rushing to try to get it finished before leaving for vacation in Colorado, but once I realized it wasn't going to happen I told Laura her present was going to have to be in the form of an IOU. I was hoping it'd only be delayed a couple of weeks, but then I went skiing and yadda yadda yadda months had passed before I was able to sit in front of my sewing machine again. August rolled around and I realized that I could give it to Laura on her half birthday if I was able to finish it by September 7th. Just the motivation I needed!
I found this ombre herringbone pattern while browsing for blue quilts (Laura's favorite color.) I fell in love and pretty much followed the instructions to a T, aside from adding an additional column & 4 rows to make it a bit more substantial. Picking out the perfect shades of blue was fun, and I'm now realizing it may be the last time I purchase fabric for a quilt...seeing as how I now have suitcases full of fabric from my grandma to use!
I did something different with this quilt by using a flannel sheet inside instead of batting. The flannel gave it some weight without making it fluffy. It was really easy to work with, too. I'll probably do this again!
- It's my favorite time of year, so I'd thought I share a few of my favorite things! Here's what I'm loving this (continue reading)»
- Happy Thanksgiving! Although I'm excited to eat and be with my family tomorrow, I may be more excited to do nothing the (continue reading)»
- I feel like I'm getting all nestled in for winter. I know I'm in the minority, but I absolutely LOVE winter. Bring on the snow! (continue reading)»
- My sisters and I, along with a few friends, have a book club that meets about once a month. Although we do discuss the book a (continue reading)»
- Last weekend I was excited to have a bunch of this free time with Kate. Well, you know what fun and exciting thing we decided (continue reading)»