August is such a weird month for me. First of all, I can never remember if it's the 8th or 9th month. Every month is tagged in my memory with its associated number except August. Maybe because there are no holidays this month? Then, it's definitely still summer, but all of a sudden everyone is jonesing for fall. Probably because school starts this month for so many kids, and fall fashion has filled the stores. But still, I think it's a bit early. I mean, swimming pools are still open!
Ah, well. It all goes by so fast anyway, right? Here are some of the things I'm loving this month.
I used to make green smoothies quite a bit, but recently they've sounded very unappetizing. But not the spinach...the banana. Too thick and sweet and cloying. Then, on an especially hot run over my lunch break, I couldn't stop thinking about an ice-cold smoothie for lunch. I realized that leaving the banana out would make them much more refreshing, so that's what I've been doing. Just frozen berries and/or peaches and a few splashes of OJ.
Orange is the New Black
I know everyone is all over this show, and Katie and I are right there with them. It's funny and touching and different. I love all of the back stories and glimpses into people's lives. And I like that there is such a variety of women on the show...although the amount of make-up worn seems a bit much for prison. We don't have digital cable, a DVR, or any movie channels, so being able to watch an hour-long show without commercials is quite a treat. I like that all of the episodes are available at once so we don't have to wait a week for the next one. We've only made it through about 10 episodes, so no spoilers please! (Also, isn't it interesting to imagine what it was like for Martha Stewart when she was in a similar institution?)
Garden Fresh Tomatoes
This is a given this time of year, but these beauties must be mentioned. Straight off the vine, sliced on a sandwich, or drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with salt and fresh basil. Yum.
Shorts + Long Sleeves
I love this combo for the hot days and cooler nights that we've been having. I tend to wear a long-sleeved tee and sandals with my shorts, and Kate looks adorable by pairing hers with a button-down and topsiders.
Frizz-Ease Secret Weapon Finishing Creme
This cream has been fantastic for smoothing away humidity-induced frizz and giving my waves some soft structure. It's super lightweight and perfect for touch-ups on dry hair.
What are you loving lately?
- Happy Thanksgiving! Although I'm excited to eat and be with my family tomorrow, I may be more excited to do nothing the (continue reading)»
- I feel like I'm getting all nestled in for winter. I know I'm in the minority, but I absolutely LOVE winter. Bring on the snow! (continue reading)»
- My sisters and I, along with a few friends, have a book club that meets about once a month. Although we do discuss the book a (continue reading)»
- Last weekend I was excited to have a bunch of this free time with Kate. Well, you know what fun and exciting thing we decided (continue reading)»
- I FINALLY finished a quilt for Laura! This quilt was a long time coming. I had plans to give it to her for her birthday in (continue reading)»