I've decided to take a different approach to goal setting this year. Usually I set very explicit, measurable goals, and it's worked pretty well for me. In that I get things accomplished. For example, I buckled down and took an online CPR certification course on December 28th because I had set a goal to do that in 2013, and time was running out.
However, sometimes these goals cause me to be a bit too hard on myself. I had also set a goal to run 2 marathons in 2013. My plan of running one in the spring and one in the fall fell through when I broke my wrist in March. I ran the Omaha marathon in September as planned, but then I was left with (what felt like) a huge decision..."What do I do about my goal to run 2 marathons this year? Do I try to run another marathon this fall, say in November? Or do I give myself a pass since I was unexpectedly injured?" I can't tell you how much time I wasted mulling this over. It got to the point where I couldn't even tell if I wanted to run another marathon or if I just thought that I should. It showed me that I may not know on January 1st what I want throughout the year. And that some things are out of my control. I was so stressed about what to do, and it was completely self-imposed.
So this year I just feel different. In the past I've wanted to get stuff done and this year I want to do stuff. I guess that kind of sounds the same... Regardless, I'm trying something new. I'm making a list of what I'd like 2014 to look like and then another list of ideas to support that. But apparently I couldn't resist laying out a few things I'd like to accomplish, too, so there's a small list of those as well.
Things I'd Like for 2014:
- Fresh Air
Things I'd Like to Do:
- Go camping
- Go hiking
- Travel somewhere I've never been
- Spend time with my siblings
- Have dinners at home with friends
- Try kayaking
Things I'd Like to Accomplish:
- Make progress on finishing the basement
- Make a quilt for myself
- Paint the front door
- Finish the porch
- Run the Lincoln Marathon
So, there we have it. I'm quite satisfied with this. Less stress, more fun - bring on 2014!
- I've decided to take a little break from blogging. I know I don't blog all that much anyway, and I definitely don't need to (continue reading)»
- Our spring vacation is booked, and I couldn't be more excited!! This year's trip is BIG...we're going to Paris and (continue reading)»
- Have you ever found art at the thrift store for your home? I always look but haven't uncovered much. Most of it seems like (continue reading)»
- We LOVE the new couch we got for the basement. The first one I picked out didn't fit so it had to be returned. And not that it (continue reading)»
- I'm not a huge makeup girl. Or more accurately, I'm not a morning person, which is when makeup-ing typically happens. I have a (continue reading)»