Yesterday marked the beginning of Husker football season. If you live anywhere near here, you know this is a big, BIG deal. In fact, I almost feel a bit sorry for those that are not fans. Just because it will be in their faces for the next few months, and there isn't much they can do about it. (I don't believe you have to be a Husker fan if you live in Nebraska, but I sure find it fun!)
My family almost always gets together on game days. We'll have the grill going, more food than we can possibly eat, games of catch in the yard during half time, and cold beer. It's great family fun. I love watching everyone get worked up and yell at the TV. Don't get me wrong, I'm yelling right along with them.
But for yesterday, Kate splurged on a special treat for us, my brother, and my sister-in-law. They just moved home from Virginia, and Kate thought the best way to welcome them back to the Cornhusker State and Big Red Football was to bring them to a game. We even got a tailgating spot so we could hang out around the stadium before game time. What an experience!
There are some serious fans out there. I couldn't believe some of the get-ups we saw.
(A "Fanbulance" decked out with a wood floor and all.)
We were obvious amateurs, and didn't even have a table to use. (Coolers and upside down laundry baskets did the trick.) But we got a grill going and indulged in the classic "football dip", hot dogs, veggie burgers, and lots of snacks. Oh, and beer.
The game itself was super hot. The temps were in the 90s, we were in direct sunlight, and the place was packed. However, we definitely enjoyed being amongst the "Sea of Red", at least for the first half. We spent the second half back at our shady tailgating spot.
What can I say, there is nothing like Husker Nation. Especially when they walk away with a win at the home opener. GOOOOOOOOOO BIIIIIIGGGGGGG REEEEEEDDDDDD!!! GO!BIG!RED!
- It's my favorite time of year, so I'd thought I share a few of my favorite things! Here's what I'm loving this (continue reading)»
- Happy Thanksgiving! Although I'm excited to eat and be with my family tomorrow, I may be more excited to do nothing the (continue reading)»
- I feel like I'm getting all nestled in for winter. I know I'm in the minority, but I absolutely LOVE winter. Bring on the snow! (continue reading)»
- My sisters and I, along with a few friends, have a book club that meets about once a month. Although we do discuss the book a (continue reading)»
- Last weekend I was excited to have a bunch of this free time with Kate. Well, you know what fun and exciting thing we decided (continue reading)»