Tomorrow morning, Stella goes in for her first in-office teeth cleaning. And I'm starting to get a little nervous.
We've tried brushing her teeth at home to no avail. Even with the special toothbrushes and doggie toothpaste, we can't get near her chompers. You'd think a tiny dog like her wouldn't be able to hold her own against us, but you'd be wrong. She's wiry and determined. And I'm always terrified that I'm going to hurt her when I have to restrain her.
The fact of the matter is, her breath is terrible. No water additive or green dental treat can help her at this point...trust me, we've tried them all. And while researching what else we could do at home to help her, I couldn't help but stumble upon lots of sites saying that small dogs are prone to having bad teeth, which can turn into bad health issues in their old age. Since I expect Stella to live forever, this was bad news.
I have been avoiding taking her to the vet to get her teeth cleaned because a) I heard it was ridiculously expensive and b) I heard that they have to put your dog under anesthesia, which is dangerous. The last time Kate took Stella to the vet, she asked about getting her teeth cleaned. Our vet told us that he wouldn't have to put her all the way out, he would just give her some Valium (or an equivalent drug) to subdue her. For some reason this sounds much less scary (and possibly cheaper), and we made an appointment.
So, tomorrow is the big day. I sure hope everything goes smoothly and we get our little girl back with a good report. She only has to be there a few hours, so she'll still get to spend most of her day at home with Kate and Barley. I'll be sure to give her some extra snuggles tonight.
**Update: Stella did great, her breath is fabulous, and it only cost $75!**
- It's my favorite time of year, so I'd thought I share a few of my favorite things! Here's what I'm loving this (continue reading)»
- Happy Thanksgiving! Although I'm excited to eat and be with my family tomorrow, I may be more excited to do nothing the (continue reading)»
- I feel like I'm getting all nestled in for winter. I know I'm in the minority, but I absolutely LOVE winter. Bring on the snow! (continue reading)»
- My sisters and I, along with a few friends, have a book club that meets about once a month. Although we do discuss the book a (continue reading)»
- Last weekend I was excited to have a bunch of this free time with Kate. Well, you know what fun and exciting thing we decided (continue reading)»