Last week I asked Kate to help me come up with some dinner ideas. One of her suggestions was "Cuban food...plantains, garlic, (meat), etc." Great idea! I'm not sure how authentic our dinner turned out to be, but it was quite good. Flavorful, filling, and something out of the ordinary.
Kate grilled herself steak that she first marinated in an orange juice, lime juice, & garlic combo. I made beans by sauteing onion, celery, carrots, green bell pepper, and garlic and then mixing in a (rinsed) can of black beans and a bit of vegetable broth. I seasoned them with chili powder and hot sauce, and we topped them with slices of avocado.
We made savory fried plantains using a double-fry method. Instead of the garlic sauce used in that recipe, we sprinkled our plantains with lime salt that we made by simply combining lime zest and coarse sea salt. Holy cow, these were good.
For dessert we had fresh pineapple and to drink I made mojito soda...which I'm now obsessed with.
- 1 large lime
- handful of fresh mint leaves
- 2 tsp agave nectar (or to taste)
- 20 oz sparkling water
- Juice half of the lime into a small pitcher.
- Slice the remaining lime half and add it along with the mint leaves to the pitcher.
- Muddle the lime wedges & mint vigorously until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the agave nectar, stir well to combine, then top with sparkling water.
- Gently stir and taste for sweetness, adding more agave nectar if desired. Divide amongst 2 glasses full of ice.
This soda brought me straight back to our honeymoon, where I drank mojitos on the beach every day. Of course you could make this a cocktail by adding a bit of alcohol of your choice, but I loved this refreshing drink just as it was. Enjoy!
- I've decided to take a little break from blogging. I know I don't blog all that much anyway, and I definitely don't need to (continue reading)»
- Our spring vacation is booked, and I couldn't be more excited!! This year's trip is BIG...we're going to Paris and (continue reading)»
- Have you ever found art at the thrift store for your home? I always look but haven't uncovered much. Most of it seems like (continue reading)»
- We LOVE the new couch we got for the basement. The first one I picked out didn't fit so it had to be returned. And not that it (continue reading)»
- I'm not a huge makeup girl. Or more accurately, I'm not a morning person, which is when makeup-ing typically happens. I have a (continue reading)»