Last week I asked Kate to help me come up with some dinner ideas. One of her suggestions was "Cuban food...plantains, garlic, (meat), etc." Great idea! I'm not sure how authentic our dinner turned out to be, but it was quite good. Flavorful, filling, and something out of the ordinary.
Kate grilled herself steak that she first marinated in an orange juice, lime juice, & garlic combo. I made beans by sauteing onion, celery, carrots, green bell pepper, and garlic and then mixing in a (rinsed) can of black beans and a bit of vegetable broth. I seasoned them with chili powder and hot sauce, and we topped them with slices of avocado.
We made savory fried plantains using a double-fry method. Instead of the garlic sauce used in that recipe, we sprinkled our plantains with lime salt that we made by simply combining lime zest and coarse sea salt. Holy cow, these were good.
For dessert we had fresh pineapple and to drink I made mojito soda...which I'm now obsessed with.
- 1 large lime
- handful of fresh mint leaves
- 2 tsp agave nectar (or to taste)
- 20 oz sparkling water
- Juice half of the lime into a small pitcher.
- Slice the remaining lime half and add it along with the mint leaves to the pitcher.
- Muddle the lime wedges & mint vigorously until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the agave nectar, stir well to combine, then top with sparkling water.
- Gently stir and taste for sweetness, adding more agave nectar if desired. Divide amongst 2 glasses full of ice.
This soda brought me straight back to our honeymoon, where I drank mojitos on the beach every day. Of course you could make this a cocktail by adding a bit of alcohol of your choice, but I loved this refreshing drink just as it was. Enjoy!
- It's my favorite time of year, so I'd thought I share a few of my favorite things! Here's what I'm loving this (continue reading)»
- Happy Thanksgiving! Although I'm excited to eat and be with my family tomorrow, I may be more excited to do nothing the (continue reading)»
- I feel like I'm getting all nestled in for winter. I know I'm in the minority, but I absolutely LOVE winter. Bring on the snow! (continue reading)»
- My sisters and I, along with a few friends, have a book club that meets about once a month. Although we do discuss the book a (continue reading)»
- Last weekend I was excited to have a bunch of this free time with Kate. Well, you know what fun and exciting thing we decided (continue reading)»